Sunday, October 31, 2010

URGENCY!

This week my main focus was on increasing urgency. It seems a little crazy that this would ever need to be a focal point considering our volume, but it was nonetheless. By increasing the team’s urgency, we are able to provide a better guest experience while increasing our productivity as well. This ultimately leads to a busier and more profitable store, both in the short- and long-term.

I had an “aha” moment this week in this area. It became very clear that the team’s lack of urgency was a direct result of my perceived lack of urgency. I am naturally a calm person. Even when I am frazzled internally I come across as cool and collected. This trait was becoming a detriment to the team. I had to make a conscious decision to show emotion, to create a stir, in order to send a message to our brand new team members.

The initial results have been positive. While the team still is not where they need to be in terms of their speed and efficiency, they have become noticeably faster – especially when I am around creating a stir. This is only the beginning, but I am excited to have made this discovery and encouraged by the team’s initial response.

No comments:

Post a Comment